ADVERSE WEATHER AND EMERGENCY CLOSURE
In the event of unforeseen circumstances including adverse weather conditions, it may be necessary to close Chantlers Pre-School without prior notice.
There may be occasions when, due to unforeseen circumstances, Chantlers Pre-School may be forced to close for a limited time.
Possible reasons for closure could be (but not limited to):
• Weather – heavy snow, flooding etc. resulting in staff not being able to get to work;
• Outbreak of illness leading to not enough staff being able to maintain the staff-child ratio in nursery;
• Structural problem with the building and surrounding area resulting in Chantlers Pre-School being unable to provide a safe and healthy environment for both children and staff;
• Outbreak of contagious disease leading to closure of Chantlers Pre-School to stop cross contamination;
• Power cut leading to lack of heat/light or contamination to the water supply Chantlers Pre-School setting.
In the event of heavy snowfall, which would make it hazardous for both staff and parents to travel to the Chantlers Pre-School building, Chantlers Pre-School manager, in conjunction with the Committee, will close the Pre-School.
If you wake up to heavy snowfall or heavy snowfall occurs before the start of the Chantlers Pre-School session the Chantlers Pre-School Manager and Deputy will phone all parents of children due at the session to inform them of the closure. Or alternatively if parents have any concerns they can speak to the staff at Chantlers Pre-School on 079345533006.
Should severe weather occur during a session, the staff will contact parents/carers by telephone and request they come and collect their child within the hour or as soon as feasibly/safely possible. If parents cannot be reached, then the emergency contacts from the registration form will be contacted. It is VITAL that correct contact numbers are kept up to date.
If severe weather continues the staff and committee will make an assessment, based on local weather forecasts, whether to close the setting for an extended period. Parents would be informed by staff of such extended closures by Facebook and telephone. Staff are advised not to make the journey to Chantlers Pre-School if severe weather conditions make travel potentially hazardous.
If the setting can safely open in adverse weather conditions, a limited service may be offered due to limited staffing. (It is important to remember that some members of staff have to travel considerable distances and may be advised not to make the journey to Chantlers Pre-School in severe weather conditions. However, the setting will endeavour to have as many staff as possible at the setting when this situation occurs). If the setting closes during a session, no credit will be given. If Chantlers Pre-School CAN open and parents decide not to send their children, fees will still apply and will be payable.
Other reasons for emergency closure
Should there be a need to close Chantlers Pre-School prior to the session starting (due to unforeseen circumstances) the Staff and Committee will endeavour to contact all parents as early as possible to advise them of the closure and give an idea of when the Chantlers Pre-School will re-open. If staff are unable to contact all the parents/carers they will arrange for a notice to be displayed outside the premises.
In the case of an emergency closure during a Chantlers Pre-School session, the staff will ensure the complete safety of the children and will follow the settings evacuation procedure. Staff will contact parents/carers by telephone and request they come and collect their child within the hour. If parents cannot be reached, then the emergency contacts from the child’s registration form will be contacted. It is VITAL that correct contact numbers are kept up to date. At least two members of staff will stay with the children until they have all been collected.
If Chantlers Pre-School CAN open and parents decide not to send their children, fees will still apply and will be payable.
* In a pandemic Chantlers Pre-School would be advised to close, possibly up to 2-3 weeks, with the advice then being reviewed (It could be advised to stay closed).
* If we have reason to believe that any child is suffering from a notifiable disease we would inform OFSTED and act on any advice given by the Health Protection Agency (HPA) www.hpa.org.uk . A list of notifiable diseases is the EYFS file.
If you require any further information on any issues raised, please feel free to contact us at any time.
Kind Regards Chantlers Pre-School Staff and Committee.
Useful resources and websites
Health Protection Agency www.hpa.org.uk telephone no: 01372 0201 1700
ADVERSE WEATHER AND EMERGENCY CLOSURE